Our second Beer & Cheese pairing event at Murphy's Irish Pub takes place on Friday, October 20th, in the Snug from 6:30pm to 8:00pm. We will be pairing specific beers with artisan cheese from Bohemian Creamery. Plus, Lisa Gottreich of Bohemian Creamery will be our special guest of the evening, joining us to talk all things cheese!
In preparation for the one of a kind tasting event, read on to learn 10 facts about beer and cheese that you didn't know before. Then, be sure to grab your tickets here.
1. The first beer can debuted in 1933.
Back in those days, drinks were only allowed to have 3.2% alcohol per volume.
2. The state of North Dakota drinks more beer than any other state.
In 2013, the average resident drank over 43 gallons of beer.
3. Beer is the world's most widely consumed alcoholic beverage.
4. Beer bubbles create a gravity-defying loop.
Stanford researchers discovered that beer bubbles move upward in the center of the glass, then back down the insides of the glass once too many bubble reach the top.
5. The study of beer-making is called zythology
It's Greek - "zythos" means beer and "logos" means study.
6. The average person in Greece eats over 60 pounds of cheese a year.
75% of which is feta cheese.
7. The world produces more cheese than coffee, tobacco, tea, and cocoa beans...
8. Studies show that the origin of cheese dates back to 6000 B.C.
During that area, most of the cheese was made using cow's milk and goat's milk.
9. There's a myth that cheese causes nightmares.
The myth goes that you shouldn't eat cheese before bedtime for the fear (no pun intended) that it causes nightmares. However, cheese actually contains tryptophan, which is an amino acid that promotes sound sleep.
10. Mice don't actually like cheese.
They actually prefer sweet and sugary foods over cheese.
Congratulations, you're now extremely knowledgeable on the subjects of beer and cheese! As a reward for making it all the way to the end, use coupon code MCPAIRING to take $15 off your event ticket. Grab your tickets here!