"Difficult choices, unlike red wine, rarely improve with age."
-Richard N. Haass
This Week: Argot, 2014 Mosaic Syrah, Sonoma County
1. The word "argot" means "a shared language, borne from intimacy, associated with tight-knit groups brought together by a common interest." The wine brand Argot was created to celebrate this connection between wine and communication.
2. Justin Harmon is the founder and winemaker behind Argot. Unlike many other winemakers, Justin did not grow up in a winemaking family, or with an early interest in winemaking.
3. In 2005, Justin got his first look into the world of winemaking during harvest season in Sonoma County. In 2006 and 2007, he returned again during each harvest season to work as a cellar hand.
4. During the 2007 harvest, Justin was first exposed to working with Syrah grapes. This is the point in which he also created Argot.
5. The Argot 2014 Mosaic Syrah is described as "voluptuous with masculine notes of black fruit, dark earth and rich, chestnut-tanned leather", and has a "cashmere-soft palate that offers violets, charcoal, cured meats, and classic Syrah garrigue, informed by a wonderful smokiness."
(Thirsty? Book your next reservation at the girl & the fig)