"Making good wine is a skill; making fine wine is an art."
This Week: Peter Cellars, 2014 Syrah, Sonoma Valley
1. Peter Mauel created Peter Cellars in 2005 with a commitment to produce "high quality wines that combine the unique terroir and fruit characteristics of Northern California with old world French wine making techniques".
2. Peter's experiences include a combination of techniques learned from both the Burgundy and Bordeaux regions of France, as well as in Sonoma and Napa. While in Wine Country, he decided to also earn an Oenology Certificate from UC Davis.
3. Rupert, the "wine dog" at Peter Cellars, can often be found out and about at the estate tasting room.
4. During harvest season, Peter Cellars chooses not to harvest grapes based on numbers (pH, TA, or sugar level). Instead, they harvest based on the taste of the grapes themselves. As the grapes ripen, Peter will taste them off the vine several times a day in order to begin harvesting right at the optimal time.
5. In 2010, Peter Cellars acquired a vineyard in the Carneros region. In 2011, they opened a wine tasting room as well.
Tasting Notes From The Winemaker: "This wine possesses the meaty, mineral and black pepper components that are the hallmark of our cooler climate Syrah. It is a beautiful black/purple color with aromatics and flavors of wild blackberry and cassis with hints of roasted herbs de Provence and spice. Great with grilled meats such as a nice juicy Pork Chop or one of my favorites a classic Casoulet."
(Thirsty? Book your next reservation at the girl & the fig)