Wine Wednesday: Vivier, 2014 Pineau Des Charentes, California
"A meal without wine is like a day without sunshine."
-Anthelme Brillat Savarin
This Week: Vivier, 2014 Pineau Des Charentes, California
Vivier - Wine Wisdom:
1. Vivier is owned and operated by Stéphane Vivier and Dana Sexton Vivier. Stéphane describes himself as "the lazy winemaker" while Dana describes herself as "the adventurous American".
2. According to Stéphane, being a "lazy winemaker" is all about being patient in his winemaking, in order to let the place talk and the grapes be simple.
3. Stéphane from France and Dana from Walla Walla, Washington met through their shared love of wine in a part of Wine Country itself - Napa. They married, and together created Vivier.
4. Vivier remains a family-owned winery, with extremely limited case production.
5. Stéphane was first introduced to Pineau Des Charentes by his grandmother, Meme, who lives in the Southwestern region of France. In France, Pineau is traditionally served as an apértif (meaning it's served before a meal). In America, Pineau us usually enjoyed as a digéstif (meaning it's served after a meal).
Sexton Vivier is a sweet and special dessert wine. It has notes of dried Turkish apricots, concord grapes, pomegranate seeds, and hints of black tea and orange peel spices.
(Thirsty? Book your next reservation at the girl & the fig)