Wine Wednesday: Folded Hills, 2015 Grant Grenache, Santa Ynez
"Wine is the only artwork you can drink."
-Luis Fernando Olaverri
This Week: Folded Hills, 2015 Grant Grenache, Santa Ynez
1. Folded Hills was created by Andrew and Kim Busch. They were looking for a place to raise their children where they could experience both the "freedom of the California coast" plus the "hard work and joys of ranch life".
2. Growing up, Andrew's father owned an animal park called Grant's Farm which was home to hundreds of animals including elephants, elk, bison, and Clydesdales.
3. The Folded Hills vineyard has several Rhone varietals planted throughout, including Grenache and Syrah. The vineyards are farmed organically, and harvest is done according to the lunar calendar.
4. Winemaker Angela Osborne and grower Ruben Solorzano work together to harvest and begin the winemaking process at the perfect time in order to capture optimal freshness and flavor.
5. In visiting Folded Hills, you'll be able to experience more than just your typical winery! The property also includes a farmstead and a ranch. At the farmstead, visitors can purchase produce, baked goods, and local artisan-made products.
Tasting Notes From The Winemaker: "Our Grant Grenache takes its name not only from Grant’s Farm, our ancestral home, but also President Ulysses S. Grant who was the original Farmsteader of the land. Perfumed aromatics carry into the palate with flavors of fresh pomegranate, savory herbs and fine tannin set alongside mouthwatering acidity. Grenache loves a bit of smoke, so we suggest enjoying the Grant Grenache with fresh grilled vegetables served alongside risotto and sprinkled with grated Fontina cheese."